Passionate About Petticoats Class
With historical clothing it's all about the silhouette!
And petticoats are essential to getting "the look" right.
Whether you want to learn more about petticoats as undergarments, ready to sew up your own, or simply want to join in with the rest of us who have a passion for all.things.petticoats – You are very welcome here!
Let's get the costume closet filled with more petticoats! :-)
Find oodles of information in this unique online class combined with a packed handbook all on petticoat topics and construction and a full two-hour video class on making a Victorian petticoat.
In this class gather a wealth of information on various aspects of petticoats from fabrics to sewing tutorials and even covering the why of shaping and construction of these important undergarments.
In the first half you'll find a series of informational topics and tutorials with a downloadable PDF of all these in one file for your future reference.
- Fabrics for pretty petticoats - covering all four natural fibers plus an additional section on using organdy
- Discussion on proper petticoat lengths and widths
- Modern tips to keep your waist looking small when layers of petticoats are required for the silhouette
- How-to tutorial on sewing pin tucks based on an original Edwardian petticoat
- Tips to make beautiful ruffles for your petticoats
- Looking at supporting ruffles with cording
- Tips for making a trained petticoat and how it functions with a skirt
- A quick look at corded petticoats
- Tutorial on starching your petticoats for that wonderful "paper finish"
- Resource list of petticoat patterns
When you're ready... jump into the second part of class: Making a Victorian Petticoat which includes two hours of video tutorials divided over two parts. Each part has a lesson handout packed with detailed photo instructions and list of "homework" activities to get your petticoat done fast!
"Jennifer - I want to say that... I also have been sewing a long time and my new Victorian underwear looks better than anything I've ever made before. These [Victorian Undergarments] lessons have un-done eons of self-taught bad habits and helped me become a much better seamstress in a very short time" ~Constance T.
The class portion - Making a Victorian Petticoat - is for Advanced Beginners to Intermediate level in their sewing. You should know how to operate your sewing machine and understand basic sewing techniques such as seams, topstitching, gathering, and basic hand whipstitch. Although, each step will be shown for easy follow-along.
By practicing the basics you can tackle more advanced designs in dressmaking.
We'll be sewing a Victorian petticoat from the Truly Victorian pattern for ensembles for the years 1870 to 1900. Our objective is to build sewing skills and produce lovely petticoats for your historical costumes.
Sewing Tutorials to Make a Victorian Petticoat:
"Thanks, Jennifer.... I have learned quite a bit and consider myself a more skilled historic dressmaker than I was a few months ago!" ~Terri A.
"Your videos are wonderful!!! Keep up the great work. I have learned so much from your class - can't wait to take another one!!!" ~Maureen Larsen
Add the class pattern (sold separately) to your cart to save time on getting started on your petticoat!
Get a jump start on your historical silhouettes by building your petticoat stash today!
ATTENTION: We have a new class platform for our students - yay! If you enroll for this class on this page, please note the following steps to access the class:
Upon successful registration students will receive:
1) download link at checkout (and also an email with the link) to download the first PDF of class. Instructions are given in this PDF with the link to our new class platform and how to login and enroll there. Students will have information on how to bypass the enrollment fee on the new site.
2) an email invitation to join the Facebook workshop group (sent from FB within 24 hours). PLEASE let us know the email you use for Facebook if it is different from the one you use to enroll in this course. You can jump right in with questions in the group. The fun begins right away!
Happy Sewing pretty petticoats!
Jennifer Rosbrugh, instructor
P.S. The class lessons are entirely online and self-paced for you to work at your own speed and schedule. Read the lessons and watch the videos when it’s most convenient for you. All lessons remain available to you with no expiration.
P.P.S. The first portion of class covering various petticoat topics and with accompanying PDF handbook is only available in this course, whereas the Making a Victorian Petticoat lessons are taken from the Victorian Undergarments Class.
Attention EU students: our classes & workshops fall under the new 1/1/2015 digital VAT regulations. All online classes and workshops will have your EU country's VAT tax rate added at checkout. Class prices shown do not include VAT.