Lobster Tail Bustle Online Class
Beginning undergarment class for building your Victorian Bustle Era silhouette!
Make a lovely lobster tail style bustle with this unlimited access class - undergarment works for 1870s or 1880s dresses.
This is a beginner to intermediate level class. You should be familiar with basic sewing techniques including sewing darts, topstitching, grading seams, hemming, and a hand whipstitch.
- Lesson 1: Discuss appropriate fabrics, cut & mark the pieces, sew hems & darts, and add wire channels
- Lesson 2: Add a ruffle, sew side seams, and finish with the waistband and hoop wire
- What fabrics to use for a bustle undergarment
- How to mark fabric for sewing & casing placement
- Tips on sewing with the grain
- How to apply bias tape within a curved area
- How to pleat a ruffle
- Tips to setting on a waistband
- How to cut and tip hoop wire
"Thank you very much for offering the bustle lobster tail class. Your videos were very helpful to me. I felt like I was sewing right along with you!" ~Susie-Marie Woods
Class begins when you're ready and is available to you upon successful registration Lessons do not expire.
Be sure to download & print the handouts too for future reference!
Online Class Includes 2 full lessons with handouts, 10 video tutorials, and a fabulous sewing project!
ATTENTION: We have a new class platform for our students - yay! If you enroll for this class on this page, please note the following steps to access the class:
Upon successful registration students will receive:
1) download link at checkout (and also an email with the link) to download the first PDF of class. Instructions are given in this PDF with the link to our new class platform and how to login and enroll there. Students will have information on how to bypass the enrollment fee on the new site.
2) an email invitation to join the Facebook workshop group (sent from FB within 24 hours). PLEASE let us know the email you use for Facebook if it is different from the one you use to enroll in this course. You can jump right in with questions in the group. The fun begins right away!
Thank you for the opportunity to sew with you!
Jennifer Rosbrugh, instructor
P.S. The class lessons are entirely online and self-paced with no specific day or time required to be online. You work at your own speed and schedule. Read the lessons and watch the videos when it’s most convenient for you. Pop into the Facebook group when you have questions.
P.P.S. As of November 2015 there is currently a shortage of hoop wire (double spring wire encased in plastic) due to a manufacturer closure. We recommend you use "hoop steel" in 10 mm width and 0.5 mm thick for hoop and bustle projects like this one.
Attention EU students: our classes & workshops fall under the new 1/1/2015 digital VAT regulations. All online classes and workshops will have your EU country's VAT tax rate added at checkout. Class prices shown do not include VAT.